PoliPuran poli /Obbattu is a traditional recipe made with channa dal poornam.
All Purpose flour – 1 cups
Turmeric Powder – pinch
Salt- 1/8 tsp
Water – to make dough
For Puran /Filling:
Channa Dal – 1 cup
Jaggery – 3/4cup (powdered)
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil /GHEE– 2 tsp
- Make the dough by mixing flour,salt,Sugar and turmeric first.
- Slowly add water to make a soft dough. Drizzle oil over the dough and cover it for an hour.
- Cook the dal in a pressure cooker or in stock pot filled with water.
- If using a pressure cooker, takes about 4 to 5 whistles.
- If you are using a stock pot, bring water (about 2.5 cups)to a boil, add the dal and close it with a lid and let it simmer for about 45 minutes or until it is Soft to the touch,but does not turn mushy
- Drain the water completely and let it cool.
- Grind the jaggery ,coconut and dal to a fine paste. (do not add any water).
- Saute in a pan to remove the moisture. Mix the filling with cardamom powder.
- Divide the filling to make about 14 to 15 balls.
- Do the same with your dough as well.
- Roll the dough to the size of your palm, and place the filling inside the dough and cover on all sides.
- Flatten and roll it,
- Place an iron skillet /tava on the stove and once hot, cook the poli on both Sides, drizzle some ghee and serve.