Plaintain Chips is a simple snack, is a must served one for the all the ocassion in Kerala.This salty crunchy yummy snack...my and my hubby all time Favorite.....
When Onam comes my Grandpa used to call the men to make this Uperi in Bulk so that everyone can take home the remaining ........Miss the golden Days
Raw Banana(Plantain)/Nenthran Kaya : 4 nos
|Peel the skin|
Salt water :1 tsp in 1/2 cup water
Cooking Oil for frying i used canola
(For more taste use Coconut oil)
- In a large pan add water and turmeric powder and keep aside.
Cut into thin pieces
- Peel the outer skin of the bananas and immerse them in the turmeric water for 10-20 minutes. (Note :This will remove the stickiness of plantain and preserve the color)
- Slice it into thin round pieces. You can use a slicer or a knife, just ensure that the pieces are thin
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat.(Note: It should neither be too smoky nor dull).
- Slide the sliced bananas into hot oil without overcrowding them.
- Occasionally give stir to flip them and keep them from sticking together.
- Fry for another 2 minutes or until golden brown and remove excess oil by spreading on paper tissue.Sprinkle some salt .........
- Store it in an airtight container when they are cooled.
Another Method of adding salt: When it is half done sprinkle the salt water and close the pot with a lid.(this will prevent splashing)and remove the lid after a couple of minutes