Dry Manathakkali Vathal/Sundaikkai Vathal - 1 handful
Onion-1 medium size
Tomoto -1 medium size
Tamarind lemon sized ball
Turmeric powder 1/2 spoon
Chili powder 1 spoon
Sesame oil 1/2 cup
Mustard seeds 2 Spoons
Curry leaves -1
Asafoetida -2 spoons
Chana dal -1 cup
Red chilies -6 numbers
Fenugreek -1/4 spoon
Sesame oil few spoons
For Vatha Kuzhambu masala:
Urad dal -2tsp
Coriander seeds 5-8 spoon
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 spoon
Dry red chilies 6
Sesmae oil- few spoons.
Fry it all ingredients...Separtly and Grind it to thick batter like consistency and set aside!
- In a heavy bottomed pan,add few spoons of oil.
- Fry the dry vathal(either one 'manathakkali/ sundaikkai).
- Fry them till they turn to dark brown to black, Set aside.
- In a the same pan, heat remaining oil. add mustard seeds,channadhall,red chillesAsafoetida and curry leaves then add Onions salute well..till golden brown
- Now Add tomoto and chillipowder .....Now add thick tamarind salt, turmeric powder, jaggery.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 12-15 minutes.
- When the tamarind's raw odour leaves the pan and it starts to consolidate, at this point add 'vatha kuzhambu masala' and 'fried vathal'!
- Bring this to boil.
- Again switch to medium heat and cook without lid.
- Maybe till the raw odour of wet-ground paste is gone.
- The gravy should really thicken now.
- Wait till oil shows up on sides and top. Then remove from heat.
Serve warm with plain steamed rice.and appalam
A spoon full of ghee to go with it..... Heaven!
Sending This to Spice Ur Senses
Sending this to :cooking-goodfood.blogspot.com