Ridgegourd/Peerkangai - 1
Onion- 1/2 (chopped fine)
Tomato- 1 big
Green chillies- 4 or 5
Moong dal - 1 cup
Coconut- 1/4 to 1/2 cup
Jeera seeds - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Salt - as reqd
- Wash and cook moong dal with enough water and turmeric, onions, chillies and add tomatoes .
- You can either steam cook it moong dhall with Onion,Tomoto,Green Chilli,Garlic and turmeric for 1 whistle in cooker
- Next grind coconut and jeera with some water to a fine paste.
- Meanwhile scrap out the skin off the ridgegourd.(You can use it to make a thuvayal/chutney.)
- Add to the cooked dhall .Cut the gourd into small pieces and boil it with very little water(if needed) and salt.
- The gourd cooks very fast so don't boil for long and make it mushy.
- Finally add the ground coconut and bring it to a boil.
- Next heat oil in the kadai and splutter mustard seeds, urad dal and jeera ,red chilli,curry leaves.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Serve it with rice or roti. It tastes just great.